One of my readers asked me this a while ago in a Facebook chat, and I told them I would love to tackle it for Reader Questions. When I can’t answer immediately, it usually means “I don’t know” or “I don’t know how to communicate this simply”. Well, this is really more of a case of “I don’t know”!
I honestly don’t think there is any formula or exact method of discovering God’s precise will for your life, and I think anyone peddling such is lying. We have been given guidance in the Bible, we know what is God’s will generally. Like it is God’s will for YOU to be saved, because God wills that all may be saved (1 Tim 2:4). But is it God’s will for you to become a Doctor or Architect in future? Or to get married? To a certain somebody, at a certain time and have so and so many babies? I think trying to find a precise answer to all that now WILL be going against God’s will, because I believe God’s will is that we may be DAILY DEPENDENT on His direction and leading.
God has never laid out His blueprint and map and left men to just go by it. Even when He gave them the Law, He dwelt among them, so that they would seek His counsel and His face constantly. And now, with the New Covenant, we have the benefit of housing the Spirit of God in our bodies (1 Cor 3:16-17)! He abides with us as a Counsellor, that He may lead us into all truth (John 14:26, John 16:13).
So, I can certainly say that God’s will is that we may all have an intimate relationship with Him! And when we do, we won’t worry about God’s precise will for us, because we will learn it each day as we walk with Him. Let God worry about His will…while we focus on hearing and obeying His leading!
He may tell us clearly what he wants us to accomplish for Him today, this week, month or even year. Even if He tells us the BIG picture (which is usually what people want to know when they ask about God’s will), we can’t run ahead of Him or “get on with it” and leave Him, only to return when we are stuck. More than doing His will, He wants us to enjoy His fellowship (Luke 10:41-42). That is the best part!
The more attune we are with God, the more we can see His direction, and are able to walk in His will. I believe that if we are walking with God, He will reveal to us if we are in the right relationship, or if we are living contrary to His will by maintaining a particular relationship. We will be able to hear Him say “No, not this way…”, “Go that way…”, do this or that… And when we begin to heed His voice, we will be rightly placed to enjoy His grace! We will get the best because we sought the Best – God!
God’s will cannot be known apart from us knowing Him. Therefore, we must go through Him to know His will, and when we approach Him, He will teach us first things first! And the first is always to deny ourselves, our own perceived ideas and will, and surrender to His rule in our lives (Matt 16:24-26). Until we do that, we cannot walk in His will. For this reason, Jesus said:
25. Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26. Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27.Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28. And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29. And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31. Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32. (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
So, if I were to try to answer that question simply, I would say: “Follow Jesus. Learn to discern God’s voice and obey. Then you will know God more, and with the knowledge of Him will come the knowledge of His will for every and any situation“.
God bless you!
Photo credit: http://www.unsplash.com
Got Questions? Email email@example.com
If you liked this post you might like READER QUESTIONS: HOW DO I GET TO HEAR GOD’S VOICE?
Read more READER QUESTIONS
Are you blessed by this ministry? Why not partner with me?